Italy has announced the decision to extend the lockdown till April 13, despite latest data suggesting that the pace of growth in new cases has slowed down.
"We must not confuse the first positive signals with an ‘all clear’ signal. Data shows that we are on the right path and that the drastic decisions are bearing fruit," Health Minister Roberto Speranza told the upper house Senate.
The new infections came in at 4,053 on Tuesday, with deaths remaining largely steady at over 800 a day.
He added that the "battle [against the virus] is still very long."
So far, the country has recorded more than 105,000 cases and the death toll crossing 12,000.


Afghanistan says Pakistan strikes kill and injure dozens
Police officer killed, dozens injured in bomb explosions in Ukraine's Lviv
Trump pivots to new 15% global tariff after Supreme Court setback
Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire
US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's global tariffs
Israeli strikes in Lebanon kill at least 10, including senior Hezbollah official
Police search royal mansion as investigation into king's brother goes on
7 bodies found after Chinese tour bus plunges into frozen lake in Russia's Siberia
